Friday, December 12, 2014

Start your engines!

Yeah, yeah -- I've been procrastinating about the official start of the new Cotton Robin, probably because it means I'll have to sit down and figure out what my center block will be!

And then there's the whole calculus exercise of figuring out who's sending what to whom which should be much easier than it is.  What happens is that I try to not have anyone in the U.S. have to send overseas more than once, and I keep shifting people around, and then my brain explodes...

But anyway: it's not too late to join in, so shoot me an email if you want to participate. I won't do the spreadsheet until sometime towards the end of the month, possibly with assistance from some eggnog.

I have 18 players so far, and I'll send you each an email with mailing assignments later on. Here, though, are the basic instructions:

  • You will make a center block, which may be square or rectangular. It may have maximum dimensions of 9.5" x 9.5" or 8.5" x 10.5" (unfinished dimensions) 
  • The challenge this year is to use color in a way that you haven't tried before or which is out of your comfort zone -- for instance, "low volume", monochromatic, new combination of colors, all solids, etc. 
  • You will send the block to me with $2 in cash or stamps or chocolate to defray my postage costs for the next mailing.  (I'll be sending you my mailing address)
  • You may include a very small amount of extra fabric (no more than 1/4 yard), a quilt label, and/or some words about your likes and dislikes -- all of these are optional.
  • I will then send you someone else's center block,to which you will add a pieced border, following the color clues from the center block and any notes the maker may have provided.
  • You'll then mail that block-plus-border to someone else.
  • You will receive another project in the mail;  to this you will add a second border. 
  • Then you will mail the block-plus-two-borders to another person.
  • You will receive a final project in the mail.  You will add batting and backing and quilt this and bind it.  It’s nice to include a hanging sleeve as well.  You will mail the finished quilt along with the label (if there was one) to its original maker.
  • Please keep in mind that the finished quilt shouldn’t be bigger than (approximately) 20” x 20”, so size your borders accordingly, and remember to leave enough “space” for a second border when you are constructing the first border.  You can include plain strips if needed or desired for sizing or decoration, but the main borders should not be plain strips!   
  • Please do not add any embellishments (beads, etc) to the borders – you may add them when you’re doing the quilting, if you wish.  
  • Please do not use any fabrics in the borders that cannot be washed and ironed or that are especially prone to ravelling ... we've had issues!
  • You will not post any photos of your center block or borders here or elsewhere -- but you may post "teaser" photos of the borders without the center block showing, or with color changes, etc.  Please email me a photo of the finished quilt before you send it "home".
  • You will email me or post to the blog when you send something and when you receive something, so that I can keep track!

Hope you all have terrific holidays, and don't forget to work on your centers! 

Julie

p.s.  I've probably forgotten something important, but we'll catch up to it later.



7 comments:

Jay said...

Gased up and ready to roll! I did notice that my name is not in the participating roster. Did you get me down for the year? Jay

QuiltSwissy said...

18!!!! Wow! Bigger and better every year!

Frog Quilter said...

Looking forward to another fun round robin.200

Quilting Nonnie said...

I'm jazzed! This is my first year and I can't wait to start.

rag55 said...

Julie. ....don't start without me!!!! I'm up for another round robin! !!
Rachel

roccagal said...

yeah yeah yeah-I will find the time somehow-i cannot resist this wonderful goup of quilters!
thnaks again Julie for organinzing! You are a gem!

difergie said...

I am interested in participating if it is not too late. Difergi@gmail.com