Sunday, April 21, 2013

A comedy of errors ... mine

First the important part of the post.  Here's a hint at what I added as the second round on the quilt I'll be mailing to Jay tomorrow.

Clue for Round 2

This ISN'T the actual border--this is from an old UFO that I used to reverse engineer (and resize and change the corners) for a similar vine that was part of what I added to the Cotton Robin quilt (in an entirely different colorway) ... but you get the idea ;-)

As I mentioned on my blog, I originally thought I could simply put this unquilted wall hanging on my light box and trace it.

It seemed like a good idea ...It seemed like a good idea, but as soon as I turned on the light, it was clear that wasn't going to work.

They are pretty simple–if small and fidgety–blocks, so I was able to draw them in a size that would fit the round robin quilt.

It's been a long time since I had done any paper foundation piecing and mistakes were made, ripped and re-made ...  until I got it right.

At one point it seemed my math was wrong and my borders would be too long.  After a little freak out in my head, I suspended disbelief, kept making blocks  ...  and told myself that if they didn't fit, I'd improvise. After a couple days of sewing and thinking that it wasn't going to work ... it did.  I should have known to trust my math skills ;-)

I had used a polyester foundation paper, Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff Poly, that can be left in the quilt, but after the borders were sewn, then ripped and re-sewn to account for my dyslexic quilter mistakes, I decided to remove it all because of weight of it seemed to do odd things to the little quilt top.

It's all good now ... honest.  I really love this little quilt; I hope the owner likes it too.

UPDATE:  I mailed the quilt onto Jay at noon.  USPS predicts she will have it by the end of the week.

3 comments:

QuiltSwissy said...

LOL. I have had weeks like that! Glad it worked, it is so frustrating when it doesn't.

sophie said...

The pressure of the deadline didn't help. I've known that I wanted to add this paper-pieced border to the quilt almost from the day it arrived ... I don't know why I waited so long to get started.

Jay said...

I am looking forward to seeing the quilt...I love PP so I can relate to your frustrations!!!