This ISN'T the actual border--this is from an old UFO that I used to reverse engineer (and resize and change the corners) for a similar vine that was part of what I added to the Cotton Robin quilt (in an entirely different colorway) ... but you get the idea ;-)
As I mentioned on my blog, I originally thought I could simply put this unquilted wall hanging on my light box and trace it.
It seemed like a good idea, but as soon as I turned on the light, it was clear that wasn't going to work.
They are pretty simple–if small and fidgety–blocks, so I was able to draw them in a size that would fit the round robin quilt.
It's been a long time since I had done any paper foundation piecing and mistakes were made, ripped and re-made ... until I got it right.
At one point it seemed my math was wrong and my borders would be too long. After a little freak out in my head, I suspended disbelief, kept making blocks ... and told myself that if they didn't fit, I'd improvise. After a couple days of sewing and thinking that it wasn't going to work ... it did. I should have known to trust my math skills ;-)
I had used a polyester foundation paper, Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff Poly, that can be left in the quilt, but after the borders were sewn, then ripped and re-sewn to account for my dyslexic quilter mistakes, I decided to remove it all because of weight of it seemed to do odd things to the little quilt top.
It's all good now ... honest. I really love this little quilt; I hope the owner likes it too.
UPDATE: I mailed the quilt onto Jay at noon. USPS predicts she will have it by the end of the week.