Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Another Quilt on Its Way


I kind of tormented myself with the second border of this one.  Andrew's first border is so outstanding that every idea I had seemed to compete with rather than compliment.  Also, as I think I've posted at least twice before, if it had been my quilt, I likely would have stopped with that first fantastic border and called it done.  It just kept screaming "I'm done" to me.

After trying a few things, I settled on adding skinny borders.  I never really thought about it, but I didn't know that the 1/4 inch foot on my Bernina (#57) is exactly a half inch wide ... until I started putting together strip sets with 1/4-inch, 1/2-inch and 3/4-inch borders. I considered using the Jane Hall (queen of foundation piecing) approach of using a foundation, but settled on the technique of cutting them wider and trimming them to the correct size after each seam and it actually worked well for me.

I wanted my second round to:
  • Float and highlight Andrew's points and continue his skinny white design elements
  • Pull some of the colors from the center to the outer border to make the center pop
  • Reinforce the feeling of a miniature medallion-style quilt
  • Give Melinda some space to create a wonderful quilting design because I know Melinda is capable of some pretty wonderful quilting ;-)
Here's a sneak peek of one corner. Aside from the mini-borders (and the fact that everything matched when I mitered the corners), I'm pretty happy that I was able to find a close match to the blue and black fabric that Andrew used with another fabric in my stash.

I'm off to the post office this afternoon and then tomorrow . . .  off to Santa Fe.  I know I'll hate the drive, but I'm excited like a little kid to be making the trip. Now that I've managed to make the deadline for mailing,  I can pack up my computer and my sewing machine and and start figuring out just how much of the "essentials" will fit in my vehicle for this trip.  I walked into my sewing room today and realized I need to take the April lotto blocks (still on the design wall) with me so I can mail them to the winners at the end of the month (doh!)

No comments: