After trying a few things, I settled on adding skinny borders. I never really thought about it, but I didn't know that the 1/4 inch foot on my Bernina (#57) is exactly a half inch wide ... until I started putting together strip sets with 1/4-inch, 1/2-inch and 3/4-inch borders. I considered using the Jane Hall (queen of foundation piecing) approach of using a foundation, but settled on the technique of cutting them wider and trimming them to the correct size after each seam and it actually worked well for me.
I wanted my second round to:
- Float and highlight Andrew's points and continue his skinny white design elements
- Pull some of the colors from the center to the outer border to make the center pop
- Reinforce the feeling of a miniature medallion-style quilt
- Give Melinda some space to create a wonderful quilting design because I know Melinda is capable of some pretty wonderful quilting ;-)
I'm off to the post office this afternoon and then tomorrow . . . off to Santa Fe. I know I'll hate the drive, but I'm excited like a little kid to be making the trip. Now that I've managed to make the deadline for mailing, I can pack up my computer and my sewing machine and and start figuring out just how much of the "essentials" will fit in my vehicle for this trip. I walked into my sewing room today and realized I need to take the April lotto blocks (still on the design wall) with me so I can mail them to the winners at the end of the month (doh!)