Here are the preliminary guidelines:
~About the swap…
- This is a MYSTERY project. You will receive a finished quilt that includes your original center block, but you won’t see any of the progress until your quilt comes home to you.
- This is a 5-month commitment and you'll need to have a very good excuse if you want to drop out in the middle. Having said that... life happens and sometimes there is a good excuse, but if this does occur you need to communicate with me instead of disappearing into the void with someone's quilt! (remember: I know where you live)
- Once you have signed up for the project, you will be added as an “author” on the blog; let me know if something’s not working!
- PLEASE do your best work and use good-quality fabric. This is not as “forgiving” as a block swap, where the recipient can decide to not use blocks that aren’t made well or where the fabric is funky. Everyone will be receiving a finished quilt and it’s not possible to “un-make” it if something is seriously wrong…
- The second and third people on each quilt will add borders – these may be all the way around or not, depending on your design decisions. You can include plain coping strips before your borders in order to adjust the size. The borders must be pieced borders or something else that is not a plain piece of fabric.
- The finished size of the quilt should be about 16”-20” square or 16”x20”, so plan your borders accordingly.
- The fourth person on each quilt will layer, baste, quilt, and bind the quilt. If you don't know how to do these things, this isn't the swap for you! Quilts may be hand or machine quilted, and embellishments may be added if appropriate.
~About your center block...
- It should be no more than 8.5” square or 8.5” x 10.5” (unfinished size)
- Use fabrics that you love
- Use colors you love, as this is your mechanism for conveying to all what your personal tastes are
- Use one color or use 10 colors; your imagination is the limit
- Use whatever technique is acceptable to you
- If you prefer traditional styles, this should be evident in this block. The same is true for other styles.
- If you paper piece, please remove the papers and place a row of stay stitching 1/8" from the edge of the block to prevent distortion
- Have fun!
~Reminders on Blog posting...
- Absolutely do NOT post a photo of your center block on this blog or your personal blog, please.
- I will photograph each block as they arrive to me, and post them on the blog, anonymously. We want the people working on your quilt not to know whose quilt it is.
- You may post pictures to the blog of the borders you make, but be sure to completely conceal the center block.
You will then add a border and mail it to the next border-maker by March 10.
You will mail the finished top (with two borders) to the finisher by April 20, and the finished quilt will be mailed "home" by May 31.
Once you've read through this and want to participate, please send me an email with the following information:
- your name
- mailing address
- email address
- phone number
- blog address, if you'd like it listed
- do you have a problem mailing internationally?
styles you love or hate
would you like a hanging sleeve, or don't care
if quilt is embellished, does it have to be washable
Thanks -- I look forward to great results!